Club Penguin Fansite Disney Club Penguin
Club Penguin Fansite Home Page Club Penguin Forums Club Penguin Arcade Club Penguin Gallery Club Penguin User Pages Club Penguin User Control Panel Register for Club Penguin Fansite

Go Back   Club Penguin Fansite > Club Penguin Game Forums > A Penguin's Tips, Tactics, and Guides

A Penguin's Tips, Tactics, and Guides Disney's Club Penguin according to the experts

Old Ultimate guide on how to not get scammed/hacked online

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Grounded
Mr moo's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Winner's Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Design A Furniture Item Winner's Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 16

My Mood:
Mr moo is a waddler
Ultimate guide on how to not get scammed/hacked online

Are you worried about your account being hacked into? Do you not want to be scammed?
Well this is the right place for you! Here you can read about some of the tricks people try to pull on you to get into your profile and how to avoid them and what the difference between hacking and scamming is! So, our first topic is:

The difference between a scam and a hack

Many people think that hacking and scamming are the same thing, but they are very wrong. Many, many people get confused in what a scam is, so let me tell you to end all the questions.

Scamming

A scam is what a person tells you which is a lie to try to steal your account. Say one day you get an email from, lets say, supposedly Club Penguin Team. It may say something like this:

Hello!
This is club penguin team and we have a special offer for you! Since you have been a helpful penguin, we would like to give you two million coins! All you have to do is reply to this email with your username and password. Then wait 2 days without logging in and you will have the coins in your account!
Waddle on!

One important thing to look out for is that many e-mails like that have bad spelling, grammar and punctuation. If you have seen Club Penguin's response e-mails, you will see how good they spelt everything and how they also do almost perfect punctation! Here is another example:

hello Penguin!
We at club Pengiun have seem some of the awsome work you have been doing!! I would like to congragulate you on your'e good work. Just email me your username and Pasword and wait too days and we will give you 10 billlion coins!
Waddle on!

Did you see all the spelling mistakes and punctuation errors there? Also note that the limit of coins you can earn in Club Penguin is 1 Million Coins, so both of the e-mails are incorrect anyway!

Also, they will usually do this with rich accounts, and this type of scamming is very popular with sites like Neopets where you can send items and money to another account. Which a scammer would like to do so they would send all the victims rare items and money to their main account.

Scammers also like to say to wait a while so they can transfer all the items and money from their other victims and the current one. While moderators can usually do it with a touch of a button or in a few minutes.

They also like to change the victims password in that amount of time, so if the victim tries to log in because they just realized what they had done, It would be too late as the scammer would have changed his/her password!

One very important tip is to never reply to a scam. If you do that, they will know they have reached a valid email address and they will keep sending you spam. (Credit to Annalina3)

If you do however forget to follow that important tip, you can block them from your email service and their e-mails will go straight to junk, and they don't have to know!

Remember, any moderator will never ask for you're password! That's right, NEVER! Do you want to know why? Its because they already know it! They know every single persons username and password! But don't worry, they are not any type of scammer! They will only interact with your account if you get a ban or win a contest (etc, etc)

Hacking

Hacking is totally different than scamming. Hackers will use a program to try to break into your account for the rush or the cash!

They do not ask for your username and password. No, they do not send you emails supposedly from Club Penguin Team! They will break into your account with no permission and waste your hard-earned money, delete your BFF's, ban you or most commonly, steal your account like scammers do and keep it if it's rare!

If you think that you are still being hacked into, ask your parents to call Club Penguin and ask them for help.

If you think that there should be more added to this guide then please send a suggestion and I will consider! Thanks!

~Moo

Last edited by Mr moo; 09-27-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Old 12-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Grounded
Ds Manaic Jr.'s Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Mod Hunt Winner's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Design A Furniture Item Winner's Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Patriot Penguin's 2010 Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Amateur Igloo Outfitter Award 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood:
Ds Manaic Jr. has a penguiny aura aboutDs Manaic Jr. has a penguiny aura aboutDs Manaic Jr. has a penguiny aura about
Nice Guide so far.

~Dizzi
Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorta Here
Annalina3's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
International Literacy Day 2013 Award Klingon Appreciation Day 2013 Award Patriotic Penguin's 2013 Award May The 4th Be With You 2013 Award World Penguin Day Award St. Patrick Day 2013 Award 2013 Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'12 Award 
Total Awards: 33

My Mood:
Annalina3 is a waddler
We've had a lot of trouble with this on TTC. Great guide to teach people how to save their accounts.

One tip is to not even reply to the scam. If you do, even with fake information, the scammer knows that they've reached a valid E-mail account. They'll keep sending stuff

Avatar and profile picture made by me.
Signature made by Dizzi Miss ya!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Grounded
Mr moo's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Winner's Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Design A Furniture Item Winner's Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award 

My Mood:
Mr moo is a waddler
I used your tip in the guide but i gave credit

Thanks!

~Moo
Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Grounded
Ds Manaic Jr.'s Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Mod Hunt Winner's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Design A Furniture Item Winner's Award Scavenger Hunt Winner's Award Patriot Penguin's 2010 Award Crossword Puzzle Participant's Award Amateur Igloo Outfitter Award 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood:
Ds Manaic Jr. has a penguiny aura aboutDs Manaic Jr. has a penguiny aura aboutDs Manaic Jr. has a penguiny aura about
Good tip Anna3! Wish I'd thought of that. Knowing myself I would probably tell them off. Lol.

~DizzaLPAL
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Grounded
Mr moo's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase

My Mood:
Mr moo is a waddler
Looking back at this, I don't really see how it was, 'Ultimate'. I'm gonna clean it up though, as I now realize that it is so hard to read

EDIT: Darn, I think I just made it even harder. I'm too tired and grumpy to fix it once again after numerous glitches

Last edited by Mr moo; 09-27-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Grounded
klepman's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
Mod Hunt Participation Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Design A Furniture Item Participant's Award Patriot Penguin's 2010 Award Amateur Igloo Outfitter Award Guess the Picture Participation Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood:
klepman is a waddler
Moo, it fine
Old 09-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Grounded
Mr moo's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase

My Mood:
Mr moo is a waddler
Thanks

t.o.o.s.h.o.r.t.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 PM
CPF's Random Magician
BlueSnowPen's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
Leap Year Award 2012 St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Patriot Penguin's 2010 Award 2010 Holiday Award 
Total Awards: 23

My Mood:
BlueSnowPen has a penguiny aura aboutBlueSnowPen has a penguiny aura aboutBlueSnowPen has a penguiny aura about
Often, they send an e-mail to the registered account if a change was requested, although CP might not do that.

Thanks! I'm normally a safe person online, and I know how to keep my info safe.

~BSP

Thanks to Flippers for the awesome sig and avvie!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Grounded
klepman's Penguin Info
Awards Showcase
Mod Hunt Participation Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Design A Furniture Item Participant's Award Patriot Penguin's 2010 Award Amateur Igloo Outfitter Award Guess the Picture Participation Award Happy Valentine's Day 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood:
klepman is a waddler
BSP BSP BSP hi